We all want to improve our lives. For you, that process can begin today.
Hopefully, the assessment in the last STEPS Journey Blog article (“Your Average Guy Assessment”) helped you figure out some areas to work on. But, the question then becomes: How do you take steps to improve your life? This article will give you some ideas and resources to do just that.
Because you are different than everyone else on earth.
Becoming More Than Your Average Guy
To become who you are meant to be, you should seek to address the 3 inter-related parts of you:
Spiritual: Involve God in the process for transformation to be possible. This means moving from a posture of control to surrender, from arrogance to humility, and from disobedience to repentance.
Emotional: We all have issues, including you. You can better address them by moving from being compulsive to thoughtful, from denial to self-awareness, and from self-absorption to empathy.
Intellectual: Once in the right spiritual and emotional posture, it’s time to get to work. This will involve moving from being impulsive to thoughtful, shallow to deep, and reactive to intentional.
Below are 10 areas of your life you have the potential to improve. Pick the ones you need to work on the most. Then, use the links to find additional articles that can help you move forward.
1. Being intentional in your life
- Focusing on what really matters – What To Do Next
- Living each day with purpose – Just Another Day
- Resources for personal excellence – How to Live Intentionally
2. Work and vocation
- Spirituality has a place in business – God in the Workplace
- How to find more meaning in your vocation – Finding Purpose at Work
- Using your talents at work and in the community – You Are Designed to Do Good Work
3. Marriage and parenting
- How you can treat your family better – 10 Ways to Improve Your Family Relationships
- Finding the right balance as a parent – Parenting with Grace and Truth
- Our calling as parents – Proactive Parenting
4. Friends and relationships
- Something men need to know – How to Have More Friends
- Learning to make the effort – Investing in Relationships
- The secret of good relationships – Developing More Empathy
5. Habits and hobbies
- Doing the small things with excellence – Focus on the Process
- Classics teachings on good habits – Simple Habits of Highly Effective People
- The step of progress – Simple Habits to Change Your Life
6. Personal development
- Self-help and God-help together – Does Self-Help Work?
- It takes a plan to know where you’re going – Developing a Life Plan
- Taking positive steps – A Guide for Life Improvement
7. Emotional well-being
- Seeking security and acceptance – Moving Toward Safety
- Proven steps to a better life – Learning New Life Improvement Steps
- Resources for emotional well-being – How to Deal With Issues and Brokenness
8. Spiritual growth
- We each have our journey – Charting a Personal Path for Spiritual Growth
- Seeing God in our past, present, and future – The God for All Time
- Resources for spiritual growth – How to Grow Closer to God
9. Service to others
- Being nice on purpose – Nonrandom Acts of Kindness
- You can make a difference – How Anyone Can Be a Good Example
- Seeking significance and meaning – Finding Purpose by Serving Others
10. Moving toward significance
- Learning what life is about – The Meaning of the Journey
- Seeing the big picture – What Is Your Worldview?
- Changing your life – How to Find Your Life Calling
Life is a journey we take one step at a time. Hopefully, this series of articles will help you on your personal journey to becoming more than your average guy, starting today. God bless.