In physics, inertia is a property by which a body remains at rest or in motion unless acted upon by some force. Simply put, inertia is resistance to change.
In life, we face inertia all the time. When comfortable, we resist doing things we know we should do. When busy, we put off important tasks because we are consumed by those more urgent. In both cases, we tend to keep doing what we have been doing rather than changing: inertia.
As with physics, our personal inertia requires some force to overcome. The good news is that each of us possesses that force; it is our ability to make choices, to stay on purpose, to be intentional.
Why should you learn how to live intentionally? So you can better achieve your goals, have greater impact, and find more happiness and meaning. In short, so you can improve your life.
Being intentional involves making progress on things that matter, one day at a time. In today’s busy world, how do you do that?
- You identify what things are most important and build a plan for those areas.
- You spend time each day on the important things and develop good daily habits.
- You apply that intentionality to how you think, choices you make, and what you do.
You can learn how to live intentionally. To get started, look through the topics below and pick a few that seem helpful for your situation. Then, click on those links to get started:
Learning How to Live Intentionally
- Overcoming inertia and building momentum – Do Something
- Choosing to become intentional – How to Live Intentionally
- Encouragement to change your life – You Can Improve Your Life
- Self-help and God-help together – Does Self-Help Work?
- The most powerful habits – Simple Habits to Change Your Life
- Focusing on what really matters – What To Do Next
“You have been given a gift—your life. What will you do with it?” (Michael Hyatt;
Building a Life Plan
- Finding your life calling – How to Find Your Life Calling
- God’s views on planning – Developing a Life Plan
- Overview of life planning – Why We Need a Life Plan
- A simple way to get started – How to Create a 1-Hour Life Plan
- Answers to why people don’t plan – Why People Don’t Plan
“Having clarity on where you want to go is one of the most critical components of your life.” (Michael Hyatt)
Living One Day at a Time
- Making today matter – Achieve Your Life Purpose – Today!
- Living each day with purpose – Just Another Day
- Examples of being intentional – How Will You Live (Today)?
- Using your time well – How to Live One Day at a Time
- Finding inspiration for today – Just for Today
- Choosing to change – Changing Our Life By Changing Our Self
- Appreciating being in the moment – Living in the Moment
“You must create more margin so you have room for what’s important, not merely urgent.” (Michael Hyatt)
Developing a Proactive and Positive Mindset
- Understanding your strengths and weaknesses – A Healthy Self-Awareness
- A powerful way to live your life – Serenity to Accept, Courage to Change
- Learning to calm your worries and find more peace – Let It Go
- Developing a positive approach – From Positive Thinking to Positive Living
- Making progress each day – Which is Better: Progress Versus Perfection?
“One’s personal life and work are inseparable.” (Michael Hyatt)
Being Intentional at Work, With Family, and in the Community
- How to find more meaning in your vocation – Finding Purpose at Work
- Using your talents at work and in the community – You Are Designed to Do Good Work
- How you can treat your family better – 10 Ways to Improve Your Family Relationships
- Becoming the best parent you can be – Putting Proactive Parenting into Practice
- Learning to serve those around you – Finding Purpose By Serving Others
Question: Which of the articles above is most appropriate for your situation?
Action: Make the decision today to learn more about how to live intentionally.