Maybe you rarely think about God. Perhaps you aren’t sure—deep down, in the dark times—he is there. Or, you believe there must be a God, but you can’t imagine he cares about you very much.
It could be you go to church, and even pray a bit while you’re there. But, come Monday morning, you’re back in the real world, and any thoughts of God are set aside until the following Sunday.
As part of that worldview, doesn’t it make sense to think about how to grow closer to God?
Because he is there. That is a fact; the question is what you are going to do about it. Whether you realize it or not, God loves you. He designed you in a special way, and he is there for you.
Wherever you are on your spiritual journey, you can learn how to grow closer to God. And, if you truly look for him, you will find him. To give you some things to think about, look through the topics below and pick those that resonate with you. Then, click on the links to read those articles:
Figuring Out What Faith Means
- Recognizing we may be missing something – Getting Treatment for Spiritual Myopia
- Dealing with negative aspects of religion – When Religion Becomes a Bad Thing
- When bad things happen to good people – Finding a Pathway to Peace
- Our spiritual journey – Charting a Personal Path for Spiritual Growth
- Appreciating the benefits of faith – The Practicality of Spirituality
- Discovering what life is really all about – The Meaning of Life
- When everything comes into focus – The Paradox of Surrender
“I don’t know how to put this gently, but I’m trying to tackle the biggest question of all, which is the God question.” (Charlie Trotter)
Learning How to Grow Closer to God
- Different ways people encounter God – How to Find God
- How to play the game of life – The Parable of the Poker Player
- Learning to involve God in our decisions – Our Plan, Or God’s Plan?
- Determining what God wants us to do – How Do We Follow God’s Will?
- More examples of listening to God – How Do We Follow God’s Will? – Part 2
- Dealing with our regret, self-absorption, and fear – The God for All Time
- Discovering how God communicates – How God Speaks Through Us
“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.” (Martin Luther King, Jr.)
Establishing Good Spiritual Habits
- Faith in making decisions – Surrender is a Choice
- Learning how to trust God – Trust Takes Training
- The power of habits – Simple Habits to Change Your Life
- Reasons why we should pray – The Problems With Prayer
- Listening to God – What is Meditation and How Does It Work?
- Counting our blessings – How to Feel Thankful
“Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.” (Saint Augustine)
Forming a Meaningful Worldview
- Looking back on our life – What Is Your Worldview?
- Asking good questions – Doesn’t That Change Everything?
- Is the Bible true? – A Search for Truth – Part 1
- Is God real? – A Search for Truth – Part 2
- Who is Jesus? – A Search for Truth – Part 3
- The Resurrection – A Search for Truth – Part 4
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” (C.S. Lewis)
Getting to Know Jesus
- The miracle for the ages – Why Was Jesus Born?
- Finding hope even in dark times – The Birth of Hope
- Dealing with fear and insecurity – What Christmas is All About
- The worst and best event in history – The Meaning of Easter
- How to personally experience God – An Invisible God
- Walking with Jesus – Taking Steps With Jesus
Question: Which topics above do you think could help you learn how to grow closer to God?
Action: Take time to read articles that apply to where you are on your spiritual journey.